"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity." ~ Gilda Radner

Saturday, February 26, 2011

GETTIN' MY MOVE ON

Me in another year?
The longer I sit desk-bound at work all day/every day, hunched over my computer, the more I wonder who I will look like in another year.

Jabba The Hut?  Quasimodo? The Blob?

If I even have a year left.

Let's face it...the health risks associated with sedentary office procedures are well documented.

Obesity. Thrombosis. High cholesterol. Heart disease.
Too much puter time, Quasi?

Yikes-A-Roni!

Not to mention diminished eyesight from non-stop staring and squinting at a computer screen.

Probably inviting a case of the dreaded Poke Neck, too.

If you and your co-workers are continually leaning forward and jutting your necks to get a closer look at your computers, then you are summoning "forward head carriage", which leads to Poke Neck. Or, as some health/fitness gurus describe it, "when your chin arrives in the room five minutes before you do."

And, furthermore, research shows that torpid tarrying at our work station only punches holes in our productivity. Turns us into physical and emotional slugs.

Quandary:  Our desk jobs are killing us. But what can we do?  We gotta make a living.

My solution: SOWS.

Sluggish Office Worker Society.

Starting my own chapter.

First order of business: Calling for an end to all this life-threatening motionless monotony.

Let's begin by asking our respective bosses to purchase treadmill desks -- called "tresks" -- for our offices. Or at the very least, exercise ball chairs.

Exercising while you work.  Great concept.

Maybe they could throw in some computer eyestrain glasses, too, just for good measure.

Pardon me for just a moment...

Rolling on the floor laughing hysterically while picturing my boss's face as he reads "30 Trek Desks/Exercise Ball Chairs" on the monthly office supply request list.

Hmm.  Rolling on the floor...the most exercise I've gotten in weeks.

It's not just work, of course.  At-home Facebooking and blogging are stationary bugaboos, too.

Big bottom line: Gotta get my move on.

Self-imposed challenge:  Refusing to sit the rest of the day. Before the blood settles permanently at my knees.

Legs in gear at all times.  Like a hamster on a wheel.

Starting NOW.

Standing, walking in place, in fact, as I finish this post.

Should be interesting.

Stay tuned.

No comments: