"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity." ~ Gilda Radner

Thursday, February 03, 2011

JINGIN' THE JANGO

It has got to be one of the worst, most ridiculous songs of the 70s.

And yet, one of the oldies stations I occasionally listen to still insists on playing it.

Heard it the other day at work.

Why, Captain and Tennille?  Why?

Yup. Talkin' 'bout that ode to those two whirling, twirling romantic rodents, Susie and Sam.

Muskrat Love by Captain & Tennille on GroovesharkMuskrat Love.

Not to be hatin', but...I can't stand that song. Please tell me I'm not alone.

Muskrat Susie, Muskrat Sam 
Do the jitterbug out in muskrat land 
And they shimmy 
And Sammy's so skinny 

And they whirl and they twirl and they tango
Singin' and jingin' the jango 
Floatin' like the heavens above 
It looks like muskrat love 


Jingin' the jango?


What the hell does that mean?  Muskrats making out?


Ick.


And yet, listeners embraced that stupid song.  It was like #4 on the pop charts in 1976.  I was in college.  I remember someone playing Muskrat Love on the jukebox at a bar.  My friends and I just laughed and laughed as we sang along at the tops of our lungs. 


Nibbling on bacon, chewin' on cheese 
Sammy says to Susie, "Honey, would you please be my missus?" 
And she say yes 
With her kisses


Really?  Gross.


To this day, I know all the words by heart.

I can't remember where I put my car keys five minutes ago, but I remember the words to a corny song about a couple of love-struck, bacon-nibbling mammals.

Go figure.

And, as if the lyrics weren't goofy enough, there was that annoying squeaky, squealing Muskrat chatter that seemed to drone on and on during the song...makes my teeth itch. 

Well, gotta run. The day job's a callin'.


But I don't wanna leave you with the irritating "Muskrat Love" tune lodged in your -- or my -- memory bank.  We only have so much room left up there.


So here's a better little somethin' from the 70s...a bit of Dr. Demento to hum for the next few days...


Remember "Shaving Cream?" 


I have a sad story to tell you
It may hurt your feelings a bit
Last night when I walked into my bathroom
I stepped in a big pile of...

Shaving cream, be nice and clean
Shave everyday and you'll always look keen.



You can thank me later. 

No comments: