"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity." ~ Gilda Radner

Monday, January 31, 2011

EXERCISE FOR THE SOUL

If schmoozing with my girlfriends was physical exercise, I'd be thin.

By schmoozing, of course, I don't mean glad handing or working a room.  I'm talking about the true meaning of schmoozing.

It's Yiddish for easy going, relaxed conversation.

And if there's is one thing I am good at, it's conversing. Especially with my gal pals. My cohorts. My cronies.

Yeah, I love to hang with my peeps and just schmooze away the hours.

And truly, what woman worth her weight in stacks of Oprah Magazine doesn't?

In fact, left to my own undisciplined devices, I could probably spend day after day doing nothing but schmoozing with friends near and far on Facebook, the telephone, at the grocery store, by the gas pump...

Some folks -- many men -- might consider all that gabbing a waste of time, but au contraire mon freres (that's French, by they way, for "you're wrong, my bros). In fact, guys, you might do well to follow suit.

It's no secret, really, that while guys are more apt to form relationships around activities such as work, sports, hunting, golf or fishing, women connect at a deeper level. We provide support systems for each other that helps us handle stress and other dismal life experiences (such as men who only talk about work, sports, hunting, golf or fishing. Ba-da-bump).

A scientific factoid that I have experienced firsthand:  Quality girlfriend time raises serotonin levels, thereby combatting depression and creating a general feeling of well being.

Apparently sharing from our souls is not only good for our mental health, it's equally as important for our general health as jogging or working out at a gym. Some experts even say that failure to create quality personal relationships with our fellow human beings is as bad for our health as smoking.

So let's hear it for schmoozing, ladies!

It's exercise for our souls.

No comments: