"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity." ~ Gilda Radner

Friday, January 21, 2011

FLYING FATHER FIGURES

My first hero
As a small child, I prayed for him every night.

"God bless Mommy and Daddy and Sissy and Danna and Bumpa, Aunt Ginny and Uncle Howard, Cousin Steve, and don't forget Mighty Mouse. Amen."

Mighty Mouse?

Granted, I did spend an awful lot of time glued to the tube watching his cartoons.

"HERE I COME TO SAVE THE DAY!" the little fella would bellow as he swooped down just in the nick of time to save some poor mouse damsel in distress.  I was enthralled.

I think I dated this guy once
I later added Peter Pan to my nightly prayer mix.

"...And God bless Peter Pan, too. Amen"


Peter Pan?  Seriously?

Oh, yeah.  I absolutely adored  him.

"I DON'T WANNA GROW UP!" was that cool kid's mantra.  I was mesmerized.

Ah, yes!

Mighty Mouse and Peter Pan. A caped rodent and a dysfunctional boy donned in a pointed green hat.

My heroes?  Yikes! (Would explain a lot about my early love life, though.)

Fictional flying father figures? Perhaps. Who knows?

One thing is for sure, however.

God love 'em, they both looked swell in tights.

No comments: