"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity." ~ Gilda Radner

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

WHAT WAS PUNKY'S PROB?

Yesterday, it was "pear shaped toad".

This morning, no lie, it's "Punky's Dilemma".

Yes, the title of that Simon and Garfunkel song (from their Bookends album) was the very first thought that sprang to my mind as my cell phone alarm blasted me out of a nice, deep sleep.

I know.  It's kinda freaky.

For one thing, while I loved S and G's Bookends album, and played that 33 RPM till it crackled and popped, I usually skipped Punky's Dilemma. I must've listened to it once or twice. But it was not one of my faves.

Hence, as I sit here slogging my way into full consciousness with the word's Punky's Dilemma wandering around my brain, I can't, for the life of me, remember one lyric.

Next stop:  Google (God love 'em).


Wish I was a Kellog's Corn Flake
Floatin' in my bowl 
Takin' movies
Relax in' a while livin' in style
Talkin' to a raisin who occasionally plays L.A.
Casually glancing at his toupee...

Ah. Yes. All coming back to me now.

I just plain didn't care for the song. Made no sense to me then. Makes no sense to me now.

C'mon Punky. Spill. Who are you?  What's your prob?  

And why is this song the first thing that comes to my mind this a.m.? What is my subconscious inferring?

Punky...Punky...

Punky Brewster, perhaps?  Wait!  I may be on to something here....Punky is one of John's pet names for me...is that the connection? Could I be Punky?  Lord knows I have more than one dilemma that dogs me...

Most I can glean from Google is that Punky's Dilemma was just one of S and G's lighthearted songs. One S and G enthusiast noted that he had read a review that said Punky's Dilemma was full of sexual innuendo...

Yikes!  Look at the time!

Gotta run.

So many questions left unanswered. 

Maybe Punky's Dilemma was that he didn't understand this song either.

I dunno. 

Oh, well.  Who am I to question the great S and G's artistic expression?  And how my mind works has always been a mystery. 

Sometimes, I guess, you just have to let art (and, in this case, Paul) flow over you.

Happy Wednesday everybody!

No comments: