"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity." ~ Gilda Radner

Sunday, July 01, 2012

GETTIN' MY DOROTHY ON

Everybody needs a Glinda in their lives.

And don't ask, "Who's Glinda?" cuz there's only one Glinda everybody knows and it's Glinda The Good from The Wizard of Oz. You know...the beautiful, sweet-talking blonde lady in a poofy ballgown waving a magic wand while floating into Munchkinland in a pink bubble...that Glinda.

Anyway, as you will recall, Glinda the Good sees to it that Dorothy Gale From Kansas, finally -- after a grueling, oft' scary trek to Oz, battling a forest of nasty talking trees, a battalion of  mean flying monkeys in bellboy caps, and a wicked green-faced biatch with a penchant for red shoes -- finds her way back home.

"You've always had the power to go back to Kansas," Glinda tells Dorothy.

WHAT?

Yeah. Turns out all Dorothy -- the poor, rattled dear -- had to do was close her eyes, click the heels of those highly coveted ruby-colored shoes while repeating "There's No Place Like Home" and BOOM! She was back in The Sunflower State with her beloved Auntie Em in two seconds.

Dear, stressed-out Dorothy
Granted, one can't help but wonder why Glinda, if she was so good-hearted, didn't just tell her fave homegirl upfront about that little quick-n-easy shoe routine the minute she bubbled in and found Dorothy somewhat dazed and roaming the streets of Munchkinland. But, hey, who am I to judge?

Truth is, sometimes, those valuable lessons of the heart have to be learned in an upfront and personal manner. And like I said, in the 11th hour, when Dorothy was at wit's end and way past homesick, Glinda gave her a much-needed ticket home.

And that is exactly what my Glinda The Good does, too  Yup.

When I am stressed out, beyond homesick, and needin' some time with my own fave homegirls,  my  Glinda sees to it that I get back home for a relaxing vacay. Bless her heart.

Me and My Glinda
In my case, of course, you gotta drop the "G" which gives you Linda, and "home" is The Buckeye State -- specifically, The Queen City -- Cincinnati, OH -- and it takes me  a wee bit longer than two seconds depending on American Airlines' delays or other flight schedule changes.

Yes, my forever friend, Linda, and her hubby, Michael -- we'll call him The Wizard -- generously fly me home for a little R&R every few summers just when I am needing it most.

And in a couple weeks, I'll be gettin' my Dorothy on once again. Brown bejeweled flip flops though. Ruby red just isn't my color.

Thanks so much, you guys!  Love ya!

And your little dog, too.

No comments: