"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity." ~ Gilda Radner

Sunday, March 02, 2014

THE SONG REMEMBERS WHEN

I felt like such a creeper.

Nevertheless, there I was, perched at my keyboard at 11:59 last night in a rather desperate attempt to be the first person to wish my son, Daniel, a happy birthday on his Facebook page.

Just what every 21-year-old hopes for. And what any 57-year-old mother in her right mind truly should not do.

But I did it! And, thanks to my stealth typing skills, looks like I beat someone named Tes Sullivan to the first birthday greeting punch by, oh, 25 minutes.

Not that Daniel noticed, as he -- and rightfully so -- was out on the town following a fraternity soire. And this morning my greeting is at the bottom of the Facebook post pile under the vague heading "22 others". The price I pay for insisting on being first. But I'd do it again in a New York minute.

I would have tweeted Daniel's natal day celebratory message had my cell phone been charged. May do that yet today.

I also sent Daniel a traditional, tangible birthday card via the United States Postal Service earlier in the week. A card shaped like a glass of beer containing 21 dollars... and chock full of tiny, multi-colored star confetti that, if it went as planned, fluttered in all its glittery glory to Daniel's apartment floor upon the opening of said birthday card.

Over the top? Possibly. But wait! There's more!

After pouncing on Daniel's Facebook page and securing my rightful place as his first birthday well- wisher, I got the bright idea to Google "number one song on March 2 1993".

Turns out it was "A Whole New World" by Peabo Bryson and Regina Belle, from Disney's "Aladdin" soundtrack.

A whole new world
A new fantastic point of view
No one to tell us no
Or where to go
Or say we're only dreaming...


Clearly a positive, upbeat little number...
A Whole New World (Aladdin's Theme) by Peabo Bryson on Grooveshark

As opposed to, I discovered next, the depressing, albeit toe-tapping, ditty that was at the top of the charts the day I was born: "Don't Be Cruel" by Elvis Presley.

You know I can be found (bop doo wop)
Sitting home all alone (bop doo wop),
If you can't come around (bop do wop),
At least please telephone.
Don't be cruel to a heart that's true...


Don't Be Cruel by Elvis Presley on GroovesharkIronic, in retrospect,  how that song pretty much set the tone for my dating life -- or lack thereof -- years later.

Unsettling, yes. But I couldn't stop there. Oh, no. Kept on Googling. The top song nationwide the day I turned 21 in 1977?  Debby Boone's classic ripsnorter, "You Light Up My Life". 

So many nights
I'd sit by my window
Waiting for someone
To sing me his song.

Cry me a river, Debby. I invented window sitting.

In fact, I spent an inordinate amount of time sitting in my dorm window the afternoon of my 21st birthday, waiting for someone named Tim to, if not sing me his song, at least wave as he walked by. He did neither.

Jerk.

However, long story short, a fun-loving freshman lad named Mike Ring (a dear friend across the miles to this day, I might add) surprised me with a delicious Baskin-Robbins ice cream cake, my girlfriends threw a surprise part for me and, save for my father ignoring my birthday altogether, I enjoyed my big day.

Yes, that's right. My father apparently forgot my 21st birthday.

Which explains, I suppose -- now that I think of it -- my elbowing Tes Sullivan out of her first place Facebook post, and the birthday card stuffed with all that tiny, multi-colored star confetti which more than likely is still dotting Daniel's apartment floor.

Juuust wanted to make sure he knew I remembered...

Happy 21st Birthday, Danny Boy! I love you!

P.S. I have no idea what song is at the top of the charts on this, your special day, darling. Suffice to say, I have probably never listened to it, and most likely wouldn't recognize the recording artist's name. I'm just that old and out of the loop.  As you may recall, I, for the longest time, was convinced Gwen Steffani was singing "Ain't No Harlem Bat Girl", not "Ain't No Hollaback Girl". Hugs!

(Spoiler alert...it's the edited version.)

 
 
 

2 comments:

Mike Ring said...

Most of us probably cannot readily recall with accuracy (and without the assistance of Google)the name or tune of the song that was at the top of the charts the day or month we were brought into this world. But listening to the "oldies" does invariably conjure up images and trigger memories of what we were doing in our lives or who we were with when we hear those now-vintage melodic tunes. Add to the soundtrack of our lives, thanks to the nostalgia of Ann and this blog, the songs that were popular when our children were born, what was playing on the radio during those early days when the world was fresh and anew with the miracle of a child (dirty diapers and all!). Hold on to those memories. Kinda hard to imagine that 21 years from now, some parent is going to have to explain to their child that one of the most popular songs at the time of their birth during that cold and wintery day in March 2014 was "Talk Dirty" by Jason Derulo & 2 Chainz. Give me Elvis, Tommy Edwards or Peabo Bryson any day!

Happy Birthday, Daniel!

Mike (Freshman Lad) Ring

Annie said...

Kleenex! I need a Kleenex! Thank you, dear friend, not just for stopping by The Home Stretch to add your thoughts, but for surprising me with that yummy cake and hours of laughter so many years ago! Who knew your freshman shenanigans would result in a lifelong friendship! So...if there was a soundtrack for the day I had my panic attack and freaked out during the Bay of Pigs essay test whilst you wrote a novel on the subject...what would it be?? :)