"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity." ~ Gilda Radner

Monday, March 10, 2014

ALL HAIL THE SLOTH QUEEN

How are you celebrating National Procrastination Week?

This year the national holiday devoted to putting off important tasks is March 8 through 14.

So if you've deferred beginning your National Procrastination Week celebration until today, March 10, you are certainly keeping with the spirit of this special week that recognizes the art of postponing our responsibilities.

It's an art I have dabbled in for as long as I can remember. I save my serious shilly-shallying, however, for National Procrastination Week.

Thus, on the first day (which was Saturday), I washed my sheets and never got around to drying them. Now, I always tarry when doing laundry, but leaving the sheets in the washer is what I am most beloved for around my house.

On the second day of National Procrastination Week (which was Sunday), I apologized to my husband for my dilly-dallying, promised I would get those sheets back on the bed, then promptly locked myself in my writing room for several hours.

Don't Stop Thinkin About Tomorrow by Fleetwood Mac on GroovesharkFinally, Sunday night, I dragged myself down the basement steps and threw the sheets into the dryer.

And as soon as I am done posting my blog offering today, I swear I am going to march down those basement stairs, grab those sheets out of the dryer and make that bed.

Actually (and much to my chagrin) National Procrastination Week was not designed to promote one's lack of self-regulation. It's true purpose is to encourage us to pursue more leisure activities that tend to be set aside while we are busy being responsible adults.

Activities like reading, for example.

Which makes today -- Day 3 of National Procrastination Week -- the perfect occasion for returning How Much Is That Doggie In The Window, an adorable little book I borrowed from our library back in...let's see...oh, yes!  May 2001. When my son, Daniel, now a college junior, was eight years old.

All hail Ann, Queen Of Sloth.

Ooops! Look at the time! Better hop in the shower. Gotta get to work. No time to get the sheets out of the dryer.

I'll make the bed after work.

No comments: