"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity." ~ Gilda Radner

Monday, March 03, 2014

POLAR VORTEX BE DAMNED

I am not convinced this is the Spring session of the 40 Days of Writing challenge.

For starters, it's a Monday morning, it's freaking minus freaking 11 degrees outside, and -- judging by my frozen, numb feet -- at least that frigid if not colder in my attic writing room.

But, Polar Freaking Vortex be damned, it's Day 3 of the aforementioned writing challenge, so I am up here writing. Or trying to.

Baseboard heater? Check. Space heater? Check. Huddled under three blankets? Yes. Earbuds in? Of course. "Paperback Writer" cranked? YES!

Let's Go!

Heavy sigh.

Where oh where are the inspirational vibes that just yesterday and the day before were flowing through my veins? Like my feet, just not feeling them this morning.

There is some comfort, I suppose, knowing I can't be the only one besieged by a bad case of Polar Freaking Vortex blues. In fact, I know I'm not. I see it scrawled across the sad, winter-weary faces of my customers as they drag themselves through the grocery store where I work.

Day after bone-chilling day, they trudge by me, their carts heaped with mac and cheese, potatoes, cookies, chocolate...whatever comfort food it takes to survive yet another arctic blast.

Admittedly, we're all getting a bit cranky.

Yes, even I -- Miss Cheery Sally Sunshine most days with my friendly smile and  (if I do say so myself) unbelievable knack for making pleasant small -town chitchat eight freaking hours a day, five freaking days a week -- am getting a little testy.

And it's starting to show.

"You're not smiling today."  "You look tired." 

No shit, Sherlock? Have you taken a good look at yourself in the mirror lately?

Of course, I don't say that. But how many more times must I listen to "Damn, it's cold out there!" or "I hate winter!" or "It's gonna snow tomorrow!" before I snap?

I KNOW it's cold out there! I HATE winter, too! And if you dare to mention the freaking S Word ONE more time!

Grrrrr.

Jolly good thing my boss keeps me behind the cash register and not in the deli near the knives.

OK, well, I got that off my chest.Completed Day 3 of the 40 Days of Writing challenge, too.

Better conjure up what little bit of patience I have left  as I head for my day job where I am sure to hear everyone's winter woes once more.

The doctor is in!

No comments: