"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity." ~ Gilda Radner

Saturday, March 17, 2012

TOP O' THE LAUNDRY PILE TO YA

Oh, Danny Boy! Your dirty clothes, your clothes are calling...

Yes, we drive Daniel back to college tomorrow after a lovely week of  spring break, and there are still two piles of his laundry awaiting someone's, anyone's, attention. I think we may have to draw straws.

My husband, after preparing an exquisite St. Patrick's Day supper -- potato soup, corned beef, cabbage, Irish soda bread (in portions fit for a Teamsters meeting) --  is watching TV; Daniel is off to a movie with friends. I just woke up from an Irish soda bread-induced stupor, having nothing else to do but write, so I suppose I should step up to the plate, as it were, and finish up the laundry.

Or, in the name of submitting a blog post for Day 25 of the 40 Days of Writing Challenge, I could write about needing to finish up Danny Boy's laundry.

Bingo!

Truth is, I'm not much of a laundress. I have probably washed my husband's wallet a gazillion times. And there was that oh-so-memorable time I  somehow washed a box of crayons with a load of his whites...and dried them -- before noticing...

Eeeek.

And who can forget the great ink stain mystery several years back when Daniel was at the wonderful stage of life they call "early teenager". His three favorite NEW t-shirts somehow wound up with strange black ink marks everywhere...

Why, how in heaven's name did that happen?

"Way to go, Mom."

It took awhile, but I got them out.

Extra! Extra!  Read All About It!

Nothing, however, beats the time I started the dryer with what I thought was just a  load of towels inside.

Thump, Thump. Thump, Thump.

Funny, I didn't remember washing a pair of gym shoes or tossing them in the dryer...

Opened the dryer door and MEOW! Out flew our cat, Midget, a skosh frazzled and way fluffier than usual, but otherwise no worse for the spin.

And I fear Daniel may have inherited my less-than-stellar laundry abilities. I recall one of his Facebook statuses a few weeks ago where he confessed he had three loads of laundry going (yay) but he had forgotten to add the detergent (boo).

Hey, like mother, like son.

Good news is, they don't allow cats in the dorms.

No comments: