"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity." ~ Gilda Radner

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Final Flight

Today was Patty's funeral.

Some of us who haven't seen each other much in recent times gathered together around her coffin to pay our final respects...

It's still hard to believe...

We've promised to not wait till the "next" funeral to get together...but life gets so busy...

There is comfort knowing that Patty's suffering here on earth is over...she is free at last...and she left this earth the way she wanted to -- peacefully, in her sleep, her son a high school grad getting along well at college ...

Patty, in her own, always-caring-more-for-others way, would not want us to grieve too long...she would want us to make our days count in a myriad of ways. How perfectly fitting, then, the poem on her funeral folder:

Don't grieve for me, for now I'm free,
I'm following the path God laid for me.
I took his hand when I heard his call,
I turned my back and left it all.

I could not stay another day,
To laugh, to love, to work, to play.
Tasks left undone must stay that way,
I've found that peace at the end of the day.

If my parting has left a void,
Then fill it with remembered joy.
A friendship shared, a laugh, a kiss,
Ah, yes, these things, too, I will miss.

Be not burdened with times of sorrow,
I wish you the sunshine of tomorrow.
My Life's been full, I savoured much,
Good friends, good times, a loved one's touch.

Perhaps my time seemed all too brief,
Don't lengthen it now with undue grief.
Lift up your heart and share with me,
God wanted me now,
He set me free.

No comments: