"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity." ~ Gilda Radner

Saturday, September 09, 2006

A FAMILY CHANGES...FOR THE BETTER

My dear friend Trish shared her memories and thoughts of 9/11 with The Homestretch early this a.m. What a heart-wrenching memory, but what a heartwarming personal outcome from the horrific happenings of that awful day. An inspirational for all of us that, indeed, good can come from evil.

Thank you so much, Trish, for leading off this 9/11 memorial with your story (it also appears under Comments, but I just didn't want anyone to miss this)...

"It was my first year working at Moeller (High School). I had a student walk in to my office and say, "Mrs. Niehaus, another plane crashed into the second tower. Do you think this is an accident?" I decided he was asking his mom, and I was his mom in that moment, not an employee of Moeller High School. I wanted to hug him, I just looked at him and said, "I don't think so, honey". He then just asked "why?". "I don't know" was all I could say at that moment. He just put his head down and walked out of my office.

I came home and told all three of my children how very much I loved them.

Since that day, my boys have chosen careers that were maybe because of that day. They sure make a mom proud.

Brad is now 25 and a firefighter/paramedic. He loves what he does and knows he is making a difference.

Mark is now 20 and a United States Marine. He is stationed in Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and he absolutely knows he is making a difference.

So, this family was changed by the events of that sad day. As it usually goes, we were changed for the better. "

(If you would like to share your 9/11 memories or thoughts, please feel free to do so either under "Comments" at the end of this post, or my earlier "Remembering 9/11" post, or email me at anniejen@longlines.com.)

No comments: