"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity." ~ Gilda Radner

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

I NEED A NOSE MITTEN

As of yesterday, I have joined the ranks of those suffering from the first cold of the early fall.

There are certainly worse maladies.

And I'm not complaining, really. But it occurred to me this a.m. while showering that the worst part of a cold for me -- aside from needing a 24/7 nose mitten -- is that my sense of smell and taste vanish.

Not being able to smell or taste renders two of my life-long obsessions pointless -- food and aromoatherapy.

Let me rephrase that -- food isn't so much pointless -- one does need one's energy and nutrition when one has a cold. But what's the point of, say, eating chocolate, if you can't taste it? And what's the point of getting up in the morning if you can't eat/taste chocolate?

My bigger concern this morning, however, is not chocolate, or the lack of ability to taste it.

Oh, no. It's far more seri0us than THAT!

Here's my number-one heartache while enduring my cold -- I can't smell my aromatherapeutic toiletries.

Sure, a hot, steamy shower does wonders for an achy body. And I am most thankful for good water pressure.

But why shower when I can't smell my apricot facial scrub, cotton milk body wash, and white nectarine and pink coral flower-scented shampoo?

And believe you me, there is only one thing worse than a scent-free shower...and that is, of course, a scent-free after-shower ritual. You know what I mean ladies...it's rather boring when you have to rub in, splash on, moisturize, etc., without being able to breathe in the delightful aromas of shower-clean scented deodorant, aloe and cucumber moisturizer, and cherry blossom body splash.

I dare not describe the absolute depths of depression I sank to when I went to layer my perfume.

Oy.

No comments: