"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity." ~ Gilda Radner

Saturday, April 04, 2009

He Be Drivin' Now...

Dear God.

Daniel just left for work.  Driving our car. Driving alone.

Yes, after waiting a month from the day he turned 16, Daniel John has his driver's license.

Amazingly, I am not crumbling into pieces, or gnashing my teeth.  I've been doing THAT, actually, since the day he was born and I imagined how SOME DAY he would be getting his driver's license...

It's all over but the increased worrying.

I am surprisingly OK with it. Today. After all, he is only driving 6 blocks to work. 

The first night we allowed him to ride with a friend to a basketball game an hour and half away, I cried for three hours, certain I would never see him alive again.

Of course, I cried for three hours after we dropped him and his date off at his Homecoming dance his freshman year, too.  Drank wine and called my sister and bawled.  Oh, I knew I'd see him alive and well at the end of the evening because every moment of his evening was planned and there was plenty of adult supervision. I cried because he looked so grown up and well, you know...he's my BABY....

"Mom, you don't have to tell everybody we see now that I just got my license," he whined at me, after I regaled some friends with the story at the local hardware store this a.m..

"Mom, you don't have to take pictures before Homecoming," he whined at me prior to this year's gala event. (And no, I did not cry this year, thank you very much....I'm growing up, too, apparently.) I am sure he was just worried that dear ol' mumsy might break down and wail again -- only this time it would be in front of his date...

LOL.  Poor kid. It can't be easy being my one and only child.

Good Lord.  Daniel John  got his driver's license today.

Maybe if I say it enough it will eventually sink in...

Oops.  It just did....

Chocolate martini, anyone?

No comments: