"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity." ~ Gilda Radner

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

IF ONLY I'D HAD ONE...

Pizza, pizza, pizza!

It's a good thing my 14-year-old son loves pizza, cuz that's about all I'm up for cookin' after a long day schlepping groceries at the local Super Valu.

Some might currently blame my hatred of cooking/baking on the relentless, sweltering heat. Who wants to turn on the oven when it's 88 degrees in the kitchen already? (Our air conditioning is on the fritz.)

But here's the truth...

I blame my lack of culinary ingenuity on the fact that I never had a Kenner Easy Bake Oven.

Never.

My childhood best friend, Valli, had an Easy Bake Oven, however.

And I was GREEN with envy. I loved spending the night at her house and "baking" by lightbulb one of those adorable little Easy Bake Oven Cakes.

It was too cool.

She also had the Barbie Dreamhouse, and some cool plastic go-go girl wigs for playing dress-ups. But the Easy Bake Oven was my heart's desire.

Seems I'm not the only Boomer gal -- or guy -- with fond memories of the Easy Bake Oven.

For a bittersweet stroll down Easy Bake memory lane, click here...

Have a great Wednesday!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Annie, thanks for the heads up on your home stretch blog. Miss your wit. I think you should write a book. The easy bake oven is a hoot, however, I had one. Loved those little cakes. Younger sister wasn't much help, but are they ever? Guess I should be glad I have one. huh? Always try to see the glass half full. Makes things easier that way. I remember when we didn't EXPECT air conditioning. Now that says something. A shame all that bottled water being used, and very little goes to sweat. Having a very good Wednesday, thank you.

Anonymous said...

I had an Easy Bake and tried to cook everything in it, even Grilled Cheese. I loved that thing as a little girl.
Don't worry Anne, I still can't cook or bake even with early beginnings with Easy Bake!