"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity." ~ Gilda Radner

Sunday, October 14, 2012

MYRTLE & ME

So I missed Day 4 of the 40 Days of Writing challenge.

Day 4 was yesterday. Saturday. My one-month anniversary of arriving in Myrtle Beach and starting a new chapter in my life. My Second Act.

I've titled this second act  "Living" and that is what I spent Day 4 doing.

Instead of writing about my life, I lived it.

Celebrated it, really.

Started with a dash to the beach with Mary just at sunrise, with a quick, cold splash-around in the waves, savoring the feel of my toes in the sand, saying good morning to the Atlantic Ocean at the 38th Ave. access, my favorite place on the beach.

What makes it my favorite place has nothing to do with the beach itself, actually. Rather it's the way the trees arch across the road as one approaches the 38th Ave. access that fills me with both wonder and instant contentment.. It has become a sacred portal to my new found salty sanctuary.

I was just about to write that the ocean was my first new friend I made when I arrived in Myrtle Beach, but actually it was the second.

My first new friend was Mary's good friend, Mike, who had to pick me up at the airport because poor Mary was on her way to the emergency room with kidney stones just as my plane was landing.

Worried about Mary, I had no time to worry about the fact that I had no idea what Mike looked like, Mary had the energy to say only, "Tall, dark hair" before she hung up.

Seriously?  Just "tall, dark hair"? That's all I have to go on as I land at an airport full of strangers in an unfamiliar location?

Well, I did say I was in the mood for an adventure...

Fortunately, there was only one tall guy with dark hair standing near the terminal exit.

"Mike?" I inquired, cautiously.

"Ann?" he replied, equally as cautiously.

And off to the hospital we went to visit Mary in the ER at South Strand Medical Center. They later sent her home with lots of meds.

Sweet Mary, of course, refusing to let a few nasty kidney stones hamper my arrival in Myrtle Beach, insisted we go the beach the next morning, and out to brunch.

And thus, my Myrtle Beach adventure officially began.

I eventually met the rest of Mary's tight-knit circle of friends, and was made to feel welcomed by each.

A few days later I started my new job as Mary's fill-in office assistant, and inherited a fun-loving, hard-working bunch of political call center folks, who reminded me so much of  my wonderful friends at the job I left in Coon Rapids.

I got my hair cut, and my stylist happened to be from Fort Dodge, IA!  I got my nails done, and the salon owner turned out to be from Lincoln, NE! Both friendly folks!

With trembling fear, I learned how to drive to the beach, to the grocery store, and then -- the longest stretch -- started driving myself to the office!

WooHoo! So long comfort zone!  Hello personal growth!

And in between, I've soaked up some sun, increased my Vitamin D levels, relaxed, and continue to find my smile.

Yes, after a month here, I would wholeheartedly recommend that if you must find your smile, begin your search at the beach.

Myrtle Beach.

Happy Anniversary to Myrtle and me!

No comments: